It’s Monday, and I think Nick and I were really hoping for a father’s day weekend baby, but she is still tucked away safely in my belly, doing her own thing with no real intention to come out according to any schedule we make.
That’s okay, though. The weekend was a little frustrating, because even though she obviously had no intention of making her arrival, she sure made it seem like she did.
I had an appointment on Thursday, June 15th where we underwent our second stress test and passed with flying colors. The doctor checked me for the first time and explained that I was 70% effaced and dilated to 1cm. She explained that while she has no special calendar that tells her when a baby will be born, based on what she knows and what she’s seen, she would say that Kinsley could arrive sometime within the next week or very shortly after.
To me this made sense. I was 37 weeks and 5 days at the appointment, and a week from then would put me at just about 39 weeks- a good time to have a baby.
She explained that if everything looked good and we were still moving forward without any real danger or complication, she was okay with talking about the possibility of inducing the last week of June, any time after my 39 week marker, which is June 24th.
I left the appointment hopeful that we could have a baby in the next week, but things seemed like they might be going faster than the doctor anticipated when I started having contractions the following afternoon.
The contractions I had Friday were inconsistent and not painful, so I chalked them up to braxton hicks or maybe early labor, knowing that it wasn’t time for her to come yet. The following day Nick and I were up before 8 am and the contractions had already started by 7:30.
I kept a running list the entire day Saturday of each contraction and how long after the previous one it had occurred, keeping in mind that the doctor said if they are 5 minutes apart consistently for an hour or more it might be a good idea to come to the hospital.
There were several periods where the contractions were 4 and even 3 minutes apart, but they still weren’t super painful, and even after 45 minutes of contractions 4 minutes apart, then the contractions would suddenly be 7 or 8 minutes apart for the next hour, so I knew that things still weren’t as consistent as they needed to be for us to go to the hospital.
We decided at around 1:30 pm that maybe we should take the dog for a walk to try to speed things up, since contractions from 7:45am till 1:30pm aren’t exactly the most fun way to spend the first half of your Saturday.
We walked for an hour and a half and toward the end of the walk, especially when we got home, the contractions seemed to be stronger, so we decided we should go to the hospital and find out what kind of progress my cervix had made and if we were close to Kinsley’s arrival.
We spent the next 4 hours in the hospital. I was checked again, and to my surprise I was still only 1 cm dilated. The nurse explained after hooking me up to the monitor that while I was having a lot of contractions, no labor was being done on my cervix, so I wasn’t dilating any further. She told us that there was a good chance I’d been having contractions for so long because my uterus was irritated and I may have been dehydrated.
She had me drink two glasses of water and monitored the baby’s heart rate for a little while before offering us a solution.
She said that everything looked good but that these contractions were not active labor, so if I wanted to go home and be able to relax and get some sleep, the best thing they could do is give me a shot that would relax soft muscles like my cervix so that the contractions would let up. She explained that if the contractions were true labor then the shot would do almost nothing, and in two hours the contractions would return.
I really don’t like medicine of any kind. I’m really not into taking things that my body doesn’t create itself, especially when the benefit to taking said medication isn’t outstanding. So this was tough for me, but we decided that we really wanted to know if this was true labor, and the only way to do that was to have the shot and wait a few hours.
She put the needle in my left arm and whatever was in the syringe made its way into my bloodstream. Within 18 minutes the contractions had almost completely stopped. She unhooked me from the monitor, but not before telling me how absolutely adorable my bump is and saying five times how exceptionally healthy Kinsley must be because of the results she was getting on her monitor. She sent us home and told us that if the contractions started again and occurred 5 minutes apart and were increasingly painful, then I should come back, but until then drinking plenty of fluid was the best thing I could do, especially if I wanted the false labor contractions to stay away.
I wanted a chicken sandwich, so we went to BK and got one. Later that night I had a few contractions, and Sunday morning they began all over again just like the day before.
Since it was raining, and there was nothing we could really do outside, I decided to go grocery shopping, hoping it would loosen things up further and maybe the contractions would become real labor pain, but I had no luck.
I went to bed last night and woke up around 1:00 in the morning with really painful contractions that lasted about 5 hours, but were irregular so there was nothing to be done.
And now it’s Monday and I’ve had a few contractions but nothing like the weekend. My next appointment is Wednesday and hopefully then there will be some talk of inducing since they are legally able to this Saturday. The sooner we have Kinsley, at this point, the better, because Nick would really like to work 4th of July week for the overtime and holiday pay benefits, rather than end up taking it off for Kinsley’s arrival. Obviously he is prepared to do whatever, but the extra cash from working the holiday would be nice.
That being said, if we can schedule accordingly, it won’t be unlikely that Kinsley be born the beginning of next week. Fingers crossed that I can be induced as early as June 26th, one week from today!
We were totally ready for a father’s day weekend baby, and now we’re even more ready than before!
Kinsley June, feel free to join us any time. 🌼