DIY Changing Table

Hi guys, today I’m going to be sharing the steps that I took to make Kinsley’s changing table.

Right now we live in a beautiful two bedroom apartment that is part of a nice association less than one mile from each of our places of employment, and for those reasons and several others, we have no plans to purchase a house or move any time soon. That being said, when we found out we were pregnant there was some conversation about what we might and might not be able to do with our nursery. Initially I was worried that not being able to paint would really hinder our experience in making the baby’s room exactly like we wanted it, but we chose to do a few things instead to sort of make up for not being able to paint.

Instead of painting the walls, we decided that we would buy [most of] our furniture for the nursery from resale shops, and we would refinish each piece to fit the nursery theme we chose. In doing that, we got to spend time together on fun projects and make each piece in the nursery our own- this has been, in my opinion, even more rewarding than painting the walls would have proven to be.

We bought a dresser and a rocking chair from one local resale store, and I was able to re-paint a bookshelf and vanity table I’d used in my room when I was younger. In addition to those pieces, I bought a sink base cabinet from Lowe’s for $30 [originally $250] that had been returned due to a broken vanity top, and I repurposed it into what is now our changing table.

Here’s a step by step guide on how we did it:

  1. I started with the vanity. Because the top was broken we left the top at Lowe’s, and instead I bought wood to make a top that would better suit our needs [we needed something flat without a sink anyways]. 
  2. When I got the base cabinet home I laid down a sheet of painters plastic and I took a sanding sponge to the entire cabinet. Sanding the wood gives it a rougher surface that paint sticks much better to.
  3. After sanding, I bought a quart of primer. Using a cabinet and door roller kit, I primed the cabinet with zinsser bullseye primer. I let it dry, and for kicks and giggles I applied a second coat of primer. Typically you would only need one coat of primer, but because I had so much of it, combined with the fact that the wood was really dark to begin with and the color we were going to paint it wasn’t super dark, I chose to give it a second coat. It did no harm.
  4. After priming and allowing it to dry, I used the same roller kit to apply the paint. We used Valspar Signature, which is a zero VOC paint [it doesn’t have harsh chemicals or fumes and is safe to use in a baby room] in the color morning fog. Morning Fog is a sherwin williams color, but I work at Lowe’s and run the paint department, so we worked our magic and made it valspar compatible. Actually, this particular can was an oops paint, originally mixed as a lighter gray, but, again, we threw it under the tinter and adjusted the tint to match the color that best suited us- even better as an oops paint because it only costed me $9 when originally a gallon of Valspar Signature hovers around $32 at the lowest.
  5. I recommend using a satin or semigloss paint, because those sheens are more resistant to scratching, chipping, and wear and tear in general. Our paint was mixed as a flat, so I bought a clear gloss to go over it once it dried for extra protection. If you do that, use a water based gloss, and a note that a little goes a long way. 
  6. Once all that was dry, the cabinet was basically done, and now we started on the top. I paid around 40 dollars for the supplies I needed to make the top, and I had a friend build it for us because he had the tools required. I bought pine because its a much sturdier wood, but even a sheet of OSB would work. I bought one long piece to cut for the three sides and I left the right end open. 
  7. Our cabinet was 18 3/4 inches wide by 32 inches long, so I had the board cut to 18 3/4 by 36 inches so we could have an overlap for hooks to hang things on the bottom and a part for bottles of baby powder/lotion/hand sanitizer/diaper rash cream/ etc on top.
  8. Jim cut the wood to size and screwed the boards together, and I bought corner brackets to fasten the top onto the base cabinet. Once it was all together, I sanded the boards, and then primed it just like I did the cabinet.
  9. Following the primer I applied paint, and then I added personal touches like the flowers on the corners and the wooden letters on the top. Throw on a changing pad and you’re ready to change your baby. 

The only other thing I need to do is attach the hooks to the open left side, and add the knobs to the doors if I feel like it. Berlin likes it just the way it is though 😉

Next time I’ll make a post about the other pieces in the nursery that we refinished. So stay tuned for that.